Elder Care Resource
Knowledge and information are empowering, and chance favors the prepared mind. Whether you are a son, daughter, spouse, friend or family member, the more informed you are, the better decisions you will make in relation to your loved one.
This list of resources below are constantly being updated. If you would like to be added to our resources list contact us.
Local Resource Websites
- Focal Point on Aging – The Focal Point on Aging is an information and referral program where older adults, caregivers and their families can obtain ready access to a full range of available services.
- H.E.L.P. – Provides referral services, written resources, and classes regarding legal and government programs as well as care-related issues and valuable services for older adults.
- Little Company of Mary Hospital (San Pedro) – A hospital in San Pedro, California and part of the Providence Health & Services.
- Little Company of Mary Hospital (Torrance) – A hospital in Torrance, California and part of the Providence Health & Services.
- Lomita Care Center – A skilled nursing facility in the city of Lomita, California. They provide 24-hour skilled care and rehabilitation services in a comfortable and friendly environment.
- OPICA Adult Day Care & Caregiver Support Center – Provides stimulating and therapeutic cognitive and sensory programs that actively engage people from early to later stages of memory loss and related neurological impairment.
- Peninsula Seniors – Palos Verdes center providing informational, recreational, charitable and social services to local elders.
- Skypark Preferred Family Care – A concierge medical practice, also called direct, retainer or boutique medicine, of Thomas LaGrelius, M.D. located in Torrance, California.
- The Salvation Army Elderly Services – Provides educational classes, day care, hot-lunch programs and pre-retirement seminars.
- Torrance Memorial Medical Center – A private hospital located in Torrance, California.
National Resource Websites
- AARP – A membership organization leading positive social change and delivering value to people age 50 and over through information, advocacy and service.
- Aging Parents and Elder Care – Access checklists regarding Elder Care 101, elder driving concerns, glossaries of common terms, symptoms of major conditions, insurance quotes, privacy and legal resources, support groups, and other services.
- Alzheimer’s Association – Learn about signs and symptoms, stages, diagnosis, research progress, treatment and care of Alzheimer’sdisease and dementia.
- American Association for Long-Term Care Insurance – The Nation’s leading independent organization serving those who offer long-term care insurance and other planning solutions.
- Arthritis Foundation – Resources for people suffering from arthritis, as well as updates on research, events, programs, and advocacy for people of all ages.
- Care Conversations – Provides information and resources to get people talking with loved ones to prepare and ensure that future care needs are met every step of the way.
- Caregiving.com – Information and support resources for caregivers. a community of family caregiverssharing their stories, support and solutions.
- Case Management Resource Guide – Provides extensive databases for various housing and healthcare services.
- Children of Aging Parents – A site to help caregivers cope and provide support and information.
- Eldercare.com – Resources for families to understand, plan for, and manage elder care.
- Family Caregiver Alliance – A clearinghouse on brain disorders,caregiver assistance and long-term care public policy.
- LeadingAge – Searchable directory for not-for-profit care facilities, and tips for choosing facilities and services.
- National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers – Locate a geriatric care manager who can oversee care provided to an elderly person.
- National Adult Day Services Association – A leading voice of the rapidly growing adult day services (ADS) industry and the national focal point for ADS providers.
- National Association for Home Care & Hospice – Database of home care and hospice agencies as well as a checklist of questions to help determine the best providers for your situation.
- National Center for Assisted Living – NCAL’s mission is to lead th assisted living profession through public policy advocacy, knowledge, education and professional development.
- National Clearinghouse for Long Term Care – Provides information and services to help you and your family plan for future long-term care.
- National Council on Aging – An organization that brings together nonprofit organizations, businesses, and government to develop creative solutions that improve the lives of all older adults.
- National Parkinson Foundation – Information about Parkinson’s disease, articles from their newsletter, on-line tests for tremors and clinical depression, as well as an Ask-the-Doctor forum.
- New LifeStyles – Comprehensive information on senior residences and care options in the United States.
- Rx List – A Library of prescriptions and drug information.
- SeniorNet – Provides older adults education for and access to computer technologies to enhance their lives and enable them to share their knowledge and wisdom.
- Today’s Caregiver– A leading provider of information and resources for family and professional caregivers.
- The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors – Provides a list of fee-based financial planners who can assist with personal finances and estate planning.
- Visiting Nurses Association of America – National association of not-for-profit community based home health providing agencies.
- Well Spouse Association – National, not-for-profit membership organization that gives support to spouses and partners of the chronically ill and/or disabled. Support groups, newsletters, and other resources help members cope with caring for their loved one.
Government Resource Websites
- Eldercare Locator – Connects older Americans and their caregivers with state and local area agencies on aging and community-based organizations that serve older adults and their caregivers.
- Healthfinder.gov – Your source for reliable health information from the Federal Government.
- Medicare.gov – The official U.S. Government site for Medicare. Information about Medicare options and eligibility.
- National Institutes of Health – Official website of the National Institutes of Health. NIH is one of the world’s foremost medical research centers and is an agency of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
- Ready.gov – Emergency preparedness guidance from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, lists and explains specific threats and responses.
- The United States Social Security Administration – The official website of the U.S. Social Security Administration.
- U.S Department of Veterans Affairs – The official website of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and services.
- Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Notebook – Alzheimer’s Association
- Decoding Darkness: The Search for the Genetic Causes of Alzheimer’s Disease – Rudolph E. Tanzi
- Finding the Joy in Alzheimer’s: Caregivers Share the Joyful Times – Brenda Avadian & Jacqueline Marcell
- Healing Your Grieving Heart: 100 Practical Ideas – Alan D. Wolfelt
- Jan’s Story: Love lost to the long goodbye of Alzheimer’s – Barry Peterson and Katie Couric
- Mom, Are You There? Finding a Path to Peace through Alzheimer’s
– Kathleen A. Negri
- Parent Talk – G. Scott Middleton
- Professor Cromer Learns to Read: A Couple’s New Life after Brain Injury – Janet M. Cromer
- Take Comfort: Reflections of Hope for Caregivers – Denise M. Brown
- The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer’s Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss in Later Life, 4th Edition– Nancy L. Mace MA and Peter V. Rabins MD MPH (Paperback – Oct 9, 2006)
- The Caregiver’s Path to Compassionate Decision Making: Making Choices for Those Who Can’t – Viki Kind
- The Caregiving Years: Six Stages to a Meaningful Journey – Denise M. Brown
- The Complete Eldercare Planner, Second Edition: Where to Start, Which Questions to Ask, and How to Find Help – Joy Loverde
- The Family on Beartown Road: A Memoir of Love and Courage – Elizabeth Cohen
- The Validation Breakthrough: Simple Techniques for Communicating with People with ‘Alzheimer’s-Type Dementia’ -Naomi Feil
- Understanding Your Grief: Ten Essential Touchstones for Finding Hope and Healing Your Heart – Alan D. Wolfelt
Must Watch T.V. and Special News Segments
- Our America with Lisa Ling – How Does it Feel to Grow Old in America
- Our America with Lisa Ling – Secret Lives of Seniors: Lisa Lings Private Struggle with Her Aging Father
- Our America with Lisa Ling – Secret Lives of Seniors: 97 Year Old Breaks Track Record!
- Our America with Lisa Ling – Deleted Scenes: When a Child Becomes the Parent
- Our America with Lisa Ling – Deleted Scenes: 10 Seniors on the Unexpected Joys of Aging
- Our America with Lisa Ling – Deleted Scenes: Senior Citizens Speed Dating